Thursday 15 October 2009

Cannabis Use And Schizophrenia

I would like to make a note about cannabis use and schizophrenia. I mentioned in an earlier post that, without any doubt at all, smoking hemp caused me to become ill. I don't really have any expertise in this matter beyond what happened to me, but I disagree with those who say smoking hemp is not dangerous. However, how dangerous is it? Some people use it regularly without developing schizophrenia, while others such as myself are not so 'fortunate'.

Check out this page for more information: http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html .

It's clear that a major factor in mental health for cannabis users is their age - regarding myself, I was at a trigger point smoking hemp intensively at the age of 18. I will never smoke hemp again, and I wouldn't advocate its use among teenagers or young adults for the very grave reasons of protecting their health, but I do believe it can be used responsibly and enjoyably. I know some of my family members would be incensed by me writing this, knowing what it has done to my Life, and by association theirs, but I stand by this - a kind of modified neutrality. Yet next to the age factor there is also a genetic factor - so if there is a history of schizophrenia in your family, find another way to relax and enjoy yourself and explore your humanity.

PS I believe that teenage drug use comes down to being accounted for by the general emotional health of our society - the more freedom we can give young people, and the more fulfilled and happy they are, the less likely they will be to seek freedom, feeling and joy in uncontrolled drug use. [You will notice that I use the term 'uncontrolled drug use' above; I believe that responsible use of some drugs (the less addictive ones) is possible, for example in psychedelic therapy and indigenous use of some hallucinogens]. I think the education system could be vastly different, where it is compulsory, to allow children to participate willingly and happily, and the immediate knock-on effect of this is in the way they choose to spend their time once they gain independence, whether at 14 or 18 years old. Because young people must eventually gain independence at 18 or so - and then how well fitted are they for this? Healthy adult individuals are those who have not been repressed in their freedom (so they do not then go off the deep end on gaining independence), and who have had fostered within them an active sense of discernment of their own; they feel in command of their lives, they have direction, and they have already found great fulfilment, independently and with the help of their guardians. Not to blame the parents or anything... [or the school system, the government, etc. ...]

1 comment:

  1. I apologise to those who may be offended by the idea that some psychoactive drugs can be used responsibly in the right setting. This is not supposed to be a radical or reckless proposal. It is a serious statement and one I would defend. Drugs ruin lives, but used in the right way they can heal them too. [Heroin is currently accepted as harmful to society, yet morphine is accepted for use within medical treatment for the relief of acute pain. That's one example of the same drug being detrimental and healing. Cannabis use is also being accepted for medicinal use to treat pain in those with multiple sclerosis. Holland has accepted that cannabis can be used responsibly by permitting its famous 'hash bars'.] Our society has seen the damaging effects of drugs, but I believe it will come to accept their use within psychiatry in the future. Look at the Miracle at Marsh Chapel - when reviewed decades later, there was an overwhelming positive response regarding the experiment's effects on the individuals taking part. Look at the serious work done within transpersonal psychology by the likes of Grof. Look at the testimony of individuals such as Cary Grant to the benefits of 'psychedelic' therapy. We have merely shown that as a society we are not mature enough to handle powerful psychoactive drugs. We still play with nuclear weapons. We still compete economically between ourselves and between world regions. As someone who has suffered extensively because of his condition, all due to misuse of an illegal drug, this advocation of limited right use of psychoactive drugs is not made lightly. I hope this will not be received as outrageous by all readers here, and I welcome debate on the subject.

    ReplyDelete