Monday 10 January 2011

Relief From Mental Suffering Through Meditation

I believe that meditation is a key to enduring through mental illness. When we meditate, we are actively detaching from normal mental activity and finding rest.
I believe that meditation provides us with rest when there is no other solution to mental unease and pain.

Too often, I might get carried away with the relentless discomfort of my condition and begin to despair, just through the overwhelming stress. But meditation offers us all a way round pain.

Meditation provides a window where there otherwise would not be one - except that found through sleep, or drug use. Meditation is a healthier choice than taking drugs! And it can be more nourishing than sleep.


As I understand it, to meditate is to cultivate the gains that come from being relaxed and from being tranquil inside.

I admit, for me personally, I have been averse to meditating, because it puts me in confrontation with the thought processes I usually wish to avoid - but this 'confrontation' can be helpful, to keep company with those thoughts, with peaceful intent.

So, I recommend meditation (and meditation practice can be as simple or as complex as you like). It brings me peace. Consider meditation as a valuable source of relief from mental suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment